Facebook Twitter YouTube WWW @

Sunday 5 April 2015

Day 4: Autobiography

I'm actually a little happy that this one is late, I was too busy last night to post it which is actually quite nice considering the poem. The prompt yesterday was an "epic tale" I didn't follow that too closely because I read a fun Ben Franklin quote about autobiographies, which I paraphrase in the opening lines....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 


Autobiography

My autobiography,
I hope I’m always too busy to finish it.
Not that I've begun one,
No,I haven’t won a war and I’m not sixty
But one day
When I’m not too busy
I want to start one
Start to reminisce
And write a list,
Of places and things and faces.
Allow myself to drift back just a little,
But to stay there?
Spend the rest of my days compiling,
Organizing?
It’s a slippery slope.
Leading to nothing but regret
What did I miss?
What did they think?
Why did I let that slip?
This is a trait that I often stumble upon
I mean I haven’t lived particularly long
But already I spent way to much of my time
Casting back my mind.
I’m scared I’m going to miss it.
Wake up one day with a blank autobiography in front of me.
I’ll be eighty and quoting eighteen.
Questioning the same stupid motives I’m stuck on now.
So I’ll change.
In the writing of this line I’ll change.
Where better?
If I’m reading this out loud then hopefully it’s already happened!
I hope to one day stand in front of you,
Spewing words in the non committal way I usually do
But after a few, I’ll take a bow
Walk away,
But someone will come up and find me
Ask me “Did you change?”
Did I succeed in ripping the chain
That anchors me to the past,
Did I untie myself from the mast?
I hope so.
I hope I live a little better.
Who doesn't?
But most of all I hope that I look forward.
Act in a manner in which the moment presents.
Not stumbling, distracted with regret,
Until one day, when I’ll allow
Myself to sit down for an hour
And think.
Start a reminisce
Write a list
Of places and things and faces.
Allow myself to drift back just a little…
I’ll realize I've changed,
I’ll realize I've aged,
But before I get stuck
Someone will come tell me I've got
To get going.
Important stuff to do
Fun people to see.
One day I want an autobiography
But finish it?

I’ll be to busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment