Facebook Twitter YouTube WWW @

Friday 3 April 2015

Day 1: Stuck

One of the resources posted for the Stars prompt was this website, and I was interested in polar constellations, and the fact that they cannot move out of their hemisphere - a northern polar constellation can't be seen in the Southern Hemisphere, and vice versa. So this is a poem about Draco, the dragon constellation, who hangs out in the north. As with most of our poems, it was written to be performed more than read, and I've used bold and italics to identify the different characters speaking. - Katie

***

Stuck

Blerrrrrr...
Hmmmmm...
Pfff!

I'm so bored!

Said the dragon
Stuck, as he was, in the sky

There's nothing to do
And my tail's turning blue it's so cold
And so dull I could die!

I'm all twisted
My nose itches
And I'm getting a cramp in foot
And to make matters worse here comes that jerk Orion
To gloat that I have to stay put.

All of his stories of the Southern Hemisphere's glories
What's so great about...Australia anyway?

Hey Draco
Hi Orion
How's it going?
It's...fine.

It's nice to be back in the north again
I bet it is
Sorry?
Nothing.

...

So... how's Ayers Rock getting on?
Still there. They've gone back to calling it Uluru now.
Oh.

Are you ok? You seem a bit down
Oh no, I'm fine, just hanging around.
Here. As usual. Not going anywhere.

Are you sure - I'M FINE. WHAT DO YOU CARE?
I - YOU CAN GO STRIDING ABOUT IN THE AIR!
But - IT'S ME THAT'S STUCK UP HERE AND I HATE IT SO THERE!
Mr 'Ooh, Look At Everything I've Seen'!
'New Zealand is great, South America's a dream!'
Well I don't care about those things - not one.
Though I am jealous about penguins... they sound really fun.

...

Ok, I lied, I want to see it all!
I want to see water go the other way down the plughole!
I want to see reefs and volcanoes and rainforests that are rainy!
Everything here is all really samey!

How can you say that?
Have you looked down recently?
Why are you bored when there's so much to see?
Every time I come back here so much is strange
To me so much has changed, you see?

You've just got to look.

I mean, penguins are great
They're really great.
Ok, penguins are hilarious!
But you know what isn't?
Water.
And you know what the Southern Hemisphere is 90% made up of?
Water.
And you know where 90% of the world's people live?
Here.

And they're always changing, developing, making something new
They've always found themselves plenty to do
Really, I'm the one who is jealous of you.
There's so much happening and you've got a front row pew.

What about, Stonehenge, the Pyramids, the Great Wall of China?
Mount Rushmore, the Eiffel Tower, you are such a whiner!
Sure, Uluru's amazing, but what about the fjords?
And you hang above this and say that you're bored?!

I suppose you're right...
But what about penguins?
They have them here too.
May I suggest that you take a good look at a zoo?


No comments:

Post a Comment